Customer Care Center
Contact Info
Donate Now

If you'd like to help others who may be having trouble paying their utility bills, please consider donating to the Utilities Assistance Program (UAP).  "Donate Now" will take you to our Paymentus bill payment portal, where you can now click on a Utilities Assistance Program button to make a donation.  You do not have to be a current LAC DPU customer to donate.  Thank you for helping our community!

> Learn more about the UAP or apply for assistance.

June 22, 2020 - Customer Care Center Begins Limited In-person Business

While citizens are able to conduct most Los Alamos County business with the Customer Care Center (CCC) via phone or e-mail from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the work week, CCC representatives will open two of the three windows in the Municipal Building lobby during the hours of 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with COVID-safe practices in place.  DPU requests citizens to consider continuing to conduct business with the County over the phone or email as much as possible and save in-person visits for when it is necessary.  Pay utility bills online, through the mail or utilize the payment dropbox conveniently located in the Municipal Building parking lot.

> Read Full Details in the Press Release

The Los Alamos County Customer Care Center is part of the Department of Public Utilities, but is also here to help citizens and visitors find the information they need for other general County inquiries. If we can’t answer your question, we’ll find out who can!

Many County services are handled directly through specific departments, and the Customer Care Center can help direct you to the department that can best serve your needs. There are several additional services listed below that are handled directly through the Customer Care Center.

Need help?  Contact the Customer Care Center at or 505.662.8333.



CREDIT CARD BY PHONE 1-866-417-0694 

 in the Municipal Building parking lot (1000 Central Avenue)

 P.O. Box 99, Los Alamos, NM 87544

 (505) 662-8333



Move In | Move Out | Transfer Service
Contact Customer Care at or 505.662-8333.

Payment Options & Financial Assistance

More Department of Public Utilities Information


For more complete information regarding property tax owner, name change, address correction, valuation, and more, call 662-8030 or visit the County Assessor's web page.

Property tax payments can be made by mail or in the dropbox in the parking lot of the County Municipal Building, 1000 Central Avenue, Los Alamos, NM. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure property taxes are paid. If someone else is to pay on your behalf, you will need to contact them directly regarding this matter.

Mail payments to:

Los Alamos County
PO Box 99
Los Alamos, NM 87544-0099

DROPBOX in the Municipal Building parking lot (1000 Central Ave)


Tax Bills and Payments

Q: When are property tax bills mailed and when are taxes due?

Tax bills are mailed on November 1st of every year as required by state law.

Taxes are due in two equal installments. The first half payment is due November 10th and must be paid by December 10th to avoid delinquent charges. Second half payments are due by April 10th of the following calendar year and must be made by May 10 or the first business day thereafter to avoid delinquent charges.

Q: When do I receive notice of my second half taxes?

The statutes do not require mailing an additional notice for second half taxes.

Q: How can I pay my property taxes?

If paying by mail, do NOT send cash. You may send a check or money order payable to Los Alamos County. We strongly recommend payment by mail.

A check or money order can be left in the dropbox in the Municipal Building parking lot, 1000 Central Avenue. Credit cards cannot be accepted for property tax payments.

Q: What is the last day to mail my taxes to avoid paying penalty and interest?

First-half payments or full payments must be postmarked by December 10th. Second half payments must be mailed by May 10th. If those deadlines fall on a Sunday, the date will be extended into the next business day.

Q: I do not have my payment coupons. May I mail in my check for the correct amount anyway?

Yes. Be certain to write the tax bill number or account number on the check to ensure proper crediting of your payment. If you do not have either number for your property, please call the Customer Care Center.

Mortgage Company Payments

Q: My property is mortgaged. Do I pay the taxes?

Your mortgage company usually pays your property taxes. It is your responsibility to forward the tax bill to your mortgage company for payment. By State law, the property owner is responsible to make sure that the mortgage company has paid the property taxes owed.

Q: How can I determine if my mortgage company has paid my taxes?

Call the Customer Care Center and a representative will verify payment information. You will need one of the following in order to give you the necessary payment information: the tax bill number, the name of the owner, or the property address. The best time to call to verify receipt of payment is after the December/May 10th deadline. The majority of mortgage companies mail or Federal Express payments on the deadline date. Due to the large number of payments coming in around the deadlines, the Customer Care Center requires several days to post payments to each individual account.


Q: If I paid my property taxes and my mortgage company paid my taxes, who will receive the refund for the duplicate payment?

The Customer Care Center receipts payments as they are received. Properties for which mortgage companies are scheduled to pay are annotated in our computer system. If a homeowner makes a payment and then the mortgage company sends a payment, the overage will normally be sent to the mortgage company.

Penalty & Interest

Q: I did not receive my property tax bill and the taxes are now delinquent. Do I have to pay penalty and interest charges?

Yes. By State law, the property owner is responsible for paying the taxes on time whether or not you receive a tax bill. If you have not received your tax bill by November 15th, call the Customer Care Center for help.

Delinquent Taxes

Q: What happens if my taxes become delinquent?

By State law (7-38-15 NMSA 1978), each June the County will mail a delinquency notice to the assessed property owner for any tax bill 30 or more days delinquent. The notice will inform the owner that if the taxes on real property, including penalty and interest charges, are not paid within two years from the date of delinquency, the property will be sold at state public auction. For owners of mobile homes and personal property, the notice will state that the property is subject to seizure and subsequent sale after six months from the date of delinquency.

Q: What can I do if my delinquent taxes have been transferred to the New Mexico State Property Tax Division for collection?

Once taxes have been transferred to the Division for collection, all delinquent taxes, penalties, interest, and costs must be paid in full or your property may be offered for sale at public auction. If a property owner is unable to pay in full, the owner may prevent the sale of the property by entering into an Installment Agreement with the State Property Tax Division for payment on all outstanding liabilities.

Q: I have been contacted by the New Mexico State Property Tax Division and informed that my property will be sold at public auction. I owe back taxes for prior years. May I just pay the oldest delinquent tax to prevent the sale of the property?

Real property owners who owe three or more years of prior taxes will have their property sold by the State unless delinquent taxes, interest and penalty charges for all years are paid in full by the date of the sale of the property (4-38-65-NMSA 1978).

Q: How can I obtain a listing of properties that may be sold for delinquent taxes?

All tax sale lists must be published in a newspaper of general circulation for three weeks preceding the week of the sale. You may also pick up a calendar of currently scheduled sales and/or current sales lists in Santa Fe at: The Manuel Lujan Building, 1200 S. St. Francis Dr., or at the Los Alamos County Assessors Office for properties located in Los Alamos County. Lists picked up at the Assessors Office must be paid for in advance at the Los Alamos County Customer Care Center. Sale calendars will be mailed to you at no charge on written request. Requests should be sent to:

Property Tax Division
PO Box 25126
Santa Fe, NM 87504-5126
Phone (505) 827-0786
Fax (505) 827-0782


Lemon Lot document inspection and fees are currently being waived due to COVID-19 safe practices and permits can be e-mailed.  Contact the Customer Care Center at 505-662-8333 or

The County issues permits to sell vehicles at the Lemon Lot. The Lemon Lot is located next to the Sullivan Field parking lot on Diamond Dr., between Canyon Rd. and Trinity Dr.


Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles:  The non-refundable fee is $10 for a spot in an allotted ten-day session.

RVs, Trailers & Boats:  The non-refundable fee is $20 for a spot in an allotted ten-day session.

(THIS REQUIREMENT IS CURRENTLY BEING WAIVED) What records do I need to show to obtain a permit?
Bring a current vehicle registration of the vehicle you wish to sell and the owner’s valid driver’s license.

Who can sell an automobile on the Lemon Lot?
The person selling the vehicle must be the owner, and live or work in Los Alamos County. No dealers of motor vehicles, nor their representatives, are allowed to use the Lemon Lot.

What ordinance covers the Lemon Lot?
Chapter 8, Article VI, Sec. 38-364

Is there a limit on how often I can obtain a permit?
The lemon lot permit may be renewed twice within six months. We DO NOT guarantee back-to-back permits.

Where is the lemon lot?
The Lemon Lot is located next to the Sullivan Field parking lot on Diamond Dr., between Canyon Rd. and Trinity Dr.


Please contact the Customer Center at or 505-662-8333 to request a banner permit.  Permits can be e-mailed to customers. 

The County issues permits to place banners on the Diamond Drive overpasses. There is no fee associated with banner permits.

To obtain a permit contact the Customer Care Center.


Is there a size limit on civic banners?
Banners will be limited in size so that they do not become visually obtrusive or limit the opportunity for the placement of other banners. Banners should not exceed the dimensions of 12 feet in length and 4 feet in height.

Does a banner have to be hung in a specific location?
Yes, banners are permitted for a specific location on the overpass. The overpasses are identified as Gym or Civic and the permit identifies a specific location and direction (e.g. Gym South 4). Permit Stickers must be visible on the banner.


Are there limits to how long banner is displayed?
Yes. The following restrictions apply:

  • Reservation cannot be made more than 3 months in advance
  • No more than 14 days in a row in one location
  • No more than 6 banners per organization per calendar year

Are there restrictions on banner construction?
Banners should be constructed of durable cloth or plastic materials which will easily withstand the natural elements. Paper, metal, wood or other solid materials which may be easily torn or separated from the banner or which could potentially cause damage to passing vehicles or pedestrians are prohibited. Banners should be constructed with hardware which allows them to be securely and safely attached to the pedestrian overpass or other street fixtures. Banners should be provided with metal or reinforced cloth eyelets at each corner. The County will have the final authority to determine whether any banner complies with the adopted standards and whether the banner may be displayed within the public right-of-way.

What ordinance covers Banners?
Los Alamos County Code of Ordinances Section 16-409(3) Civic banners. Temporary banners announcing community events, festivals or activities of civic interest may be erected within the county right-of-way at the specific locations designated by the County Council. Such signs are limited to nonprofit groups or organizations advertising events or activities open to the general public. Permits for civic banners must be obtained from the County. The County shall establish standards and policies for the placement of civic banners.

The County Council approved the following scheduling process on February 26, 1990:

The County Administrator will assign responsibility for the scheduling and reserving of civic banner display dates. Reservations of banner space will be permitted. Banner applicants will be required to provide the County with information on the proposal and sign an indemnification statement which releases the County from any potential liability associated with the placement, removal and display of banners in the public right-of-way. Applicants will be responsible for the placement and removal of Civic Banners. In cases where banners are not removed within the required deadline, the County may remove the banner at the expense of the applicant. The County shall not be responsible for any damage to or theft of banners which has occurred during the period of time they were displayed within the County right-of-way.

Am I responsible for damages caused by the sign or banner?
The applicant shall be totally responsible for all damages that might occur in connection with the placement, display, or removal of the sign or banner, including injury to persons or damage to private or public property. The applicant shall be responsible for all costs involved in the installation and removal of the sign or banner, including restoration of the overpass to its previous condition in the event of damage caused by use of the overpass for displaying the sign or banner.

What happens if I don’t remove my banner at the end of the permit period?
All banners not taken off will be removed and if not claimed within 3 days will be thrown away. Please remove the banner by the last date noted on the permit. Be sure to remove all rope, string, wire ties, etc. used to hang your banner.


To arrange for cemetery purchases and arrangements remotely, please call the Customer Care center at 505.662.8333.

Guaje Pines Cemetery, a garden cemetery, is owned and operated by Los Alamos County. Guaje Pines Cemetery is located at the end of Range Road off Diamond Drive about 2.2 miles from the intersection of Diamond and Trinity (map).

In summer, Guaje Pines Cemetery is open from 7 am to 8 pm. Fall and Winter hours are 8 am until 4:30 pm.

For burial arrangements, contact the Customer Care Center.


Can I pick out a specific location for burial at Guaje Pines?
No, lots are sold on a consecutive basis. However, you can pre-purchase a burial plot or urn space.

Are there restrictions on headstones or grave markers?
Yes, there are restrictions. All permanent markers must be made of bronze, granite or marble and set flush to the ground.

What ordinance relates to the Guaje Pines Cemetery?
Chapter 14, Article III


On November 13th, 2018, fees were modified and approved by Council.  If you pre-purchased a plot or urn prior to that date and have any questions about your fees, please contact the Customer Care Center. Modified Fees As of 11/13/2018 (PDF)


Quitclaim Deed Recording Fee (Clerk's Office) $25

Cemetery Fees


Contact Info



1000 Central Ave Suite 130

Monday - Friday:

8:00am - 4:00pm