Permitting Information
Contact Info
Last item for navigation

Permitting Information
Los Alamos County Permitting Information

Community Development hours of operation are 
generally 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday.

Building Permits Information

Building Safety Division  -Checklists, any additional information, and the building permit applications available in a fillable PDF form.  

Citizen Self Service Portal  - Submit your applications online.

Planning Permits - Land Development Permits

Planning Division Webpage  

Business Licenses Page

Business Registration and Licenses Application Information 

Special Event Permit

 Special Event Permit Application  Information on Special Events

Customer Care Center Permits
Banners on High School Overpasses
Lemon Lot

Traffic & Streets Permits

Curb Cut/Driveway Apron/Excavation Application
Traffic Impedance (Barricading)

Recreation Permits

Project Main Gate Parks on NM502 RV spaces, Fees $10.00 per night

The State of New Mexico Issues Permits for the Following:

Electrical  - CID New Mexico State info about Electrical Inspections
Mechanical - CID New Mexico State info about Mechanical Inspections
Plumbing - CID New Mexico State info
Manufactured Housing  - CID Manufactured Housing 
Food Service - New Mexico State Environment Department / Food Program

Planning Permits

 Fence  or Small shed: The permit that is required for replacing an existing or building a new residential fence or small shed. 

Temporary Signs: A sign is any written, printed or symbolic device capable of visual communication or attraction, including any announcement, declaration, demonstration, display, illustration, insignia, structure or symbol, or architectural feature which serves no other purpose than communication, used to advertise or promote the interest of any person. 

Manufactured Home Application Packet - A permit for the placement of a Manufactured Home in Los Alamos County is meant to indicate compliance with the Los Alamos County Zoning Code. Please check with the State of New Mexico Construction Industries Division at (505) 476-4700 for any other required state permits. "Manufactured Home" does not include recreational vehicles or modular or pre-manufactured homes, built to Uniform Building Code standards, designed to be permanently affixed to real property. "Manufactured Home" includes any movable or portable housing structure over twelve feet in width and forty feet in length which is used for nonresidential purposes. $0.

Election Signs PermitCampaign/Election signs may be posted on designated County-owned rights of way. 

Rezoning - A rezoning is an amendment to the official zoning map of Los Alamos County. A request to amend the official zoning map requires at least two public hearings: one before the Planning & Zoning Commission, which makes a recommendation, and one before the County Council for final action. $500.00 plus $24/acre.

Owner's Affidavit - To be completed when an applicant has an agent acting on his or her behalf.

Site Plan - A site plan is a graphic depiction of a proposed development of property that provides information such as the location of structures, setbacks, exterior facades, placement of parking and traffic circulation, exterior lighting and landscaping. A site plan application is required for all development of property or alterations/additions to existing structures, except for residential development of two units or less. $250 plus $50/million estimate construction cost to $500 plus $75/million estimated construction cost.

Minor Site Plan Amendment - Where a site plan has been previously approved, the Community Development Director may approve, deny, or approve conditionally a minor site plan amendment in accordance with the review criteria of section 16-152A. Minor amendments shall be those proposed changes that will not change the uses, will not increase the building size beyond 20 percent of the gross floor area of the structure(s), not to exceed a maximum of 5,000 square feet of gross floor area, and will not substantially change the function or appearance of the development, or result in any negative health, safety or welfare impacts on the community or adjacent properties.

Special Use Permit - A special use permit is a permit that allows a use that has been determined to be compatible with the purposes of a particular zoning district but requires additional review at a public hearing. $300.00

Subdivision Plat - New subdivisions or replats of existing subdivisions involving three or more lots. Subdivision applications require the approval of the Planning and Zoning Commission at a public hearing. Beginning at $250.00 

Summary Plat - is subdividing a single existing lot into no more than two lots, combining two existing lots into one lot, or correcting a technical surveying error. Summary Plats may be approved directly by the Community Development Director without a public hearing. Consult with CDD prior to filing an application. $100 plus $25/lot or $100 plus $10/acre for non-residential properties.

Development Code Amendment - Amendment of the Development Code (Chapter 16 of the County Code) requires two hearings, one before the Planning & Zoning Commission, which makes a recommendation to Council, and one before the County Council for final action. $150.00

Board of Adjustment Application for Waiver from the Development Code - A "waiver" constitutes written permission from the County (after the Board of Adjustment's approval at a public hearing) to a property owner to depart from one or more Chapter 16, Development Code, requirements for a particular project, sign, or fence. $250.00

An Administrative Deviation may be granted by the Community Development Director for minor dimensional deviations of 12 inches or less from the requirements of the Development Code or a reduction in the number of required off-street parking. $25.00

Temporary Use Permit - A temporary use in Los Alamos County is defined as a use of a temporary, seasonal, or a transitional nature and can include such uses as firewood sales, Christmas tree sales, and outdoor festivals or carnivals. $25.00 

Appeals of Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, or Community Development Director Decisions - You may appeal a decision of the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment or a decision by the Community Development Director by submitting a completed appeal form to the Community Development Department, 1000 Central Avenue, Suite 150, Los Alamos, NM 87544 in the Municipal Building. $200.00

Fee schedule - The fee schedule for Planning Permits.